Before meeting my advisor in Nichols Hall I stopped and walked around Pioneer Cemetery on the west campus. The last time I was there I was 17 or 18 and lived across the bridge in Hashinger Hall during the spring semester of my freshman year at KU. My friend Ellen and I had some bottles of Guinness and we walked over and sat in the cemetery and drank.
This link has more information about the cemetery, and the people buried there:
The inscription above reads:
Remember friends as you pass by
as you are so once was I.
As I am so must you be
prepare for death and follow me.
I did a search on google and apparently it was a fairly common inscription on head stones in the 18th and 19th centuries. Here is some more info: Remember me as you pass by
I met my advisor today with whom I'd doing research for over the summer. She showed me the lab I'll be using, some of the equipment, and then I filled out the paperwork for my login info, a non-disclosure form about the research, and copies of keys to Nichols Hall and the lab. I'm quite nerdy excited to have access to a lab and to get to do research. I'm thinking about getting my Master's degree and this research in conjunction with an internship next summer will help me decide which way to go.
On the way to Magnus' school this morning we saw a truck in front of us with an orange ribbon magnet on the back; we have one on our truck that is for leukemia awareness. Magnus saw the ribbon and said "look they have one too!" I couldn't see any lettering on it so I told him that maybe it was for leukemia or maybe something else. He said "I wonder if their daddy died or their mommy died or their brother died or their dog died or their sister died or their cat died, if they have one".





No comments:
Post a Comment